Thursday, March 09, 2006

DEADLY SERIOUS

What's nice about being an online bookseller is that there's always a task that suits my mood. If I feel like being physical I can shelve books and rearrange boxes or take books to Goodwill. If I want to sit and not think too hard I can list books in our database. If I want to sit and have some challenge I can research the more obscure books and determine a selling price. If I want to get out of the house I can go out and acquire new inventory.

Listing new books (I try to list at least ten new books everyday but lately I've been a bit lax) is probably the most important bookselling task for keeping a steady cash flow. But lately I've been all about acquisitions. This is due, in part, to the dreary weather. It is also due to the BookThink newsletters I receive. Each one is laden with information for booksellers and I print out pages, make handwritten notes, and stuff all these pages haphazardly in my purse to refer to so that I can be on red alert for certain authors and titles when I'm at sales. But in yesterday's newsletter he says "deadly serious" booksellers don't do this. Oops. "Deadly serious" booksellers have scouting books and he gives instructions as to how to compile a proper notebook. Before I even finished reading the newsletter I opened a Scouting Book file on the computer and started typing. I'm deadly serious now. It's a new task for me to do when I'm in the mood to sit and think. A new project. Whee! And I'm now going to go list ten new books. Uh huh. Really. I am.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

4 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Congratulations on becoming "deadly serious". It kind of sounds scary!

10:18 AM  
Blogger GuusjeM said...

I hate listing books too. Where is the listing fairy when I need her! My favorite activity is scouting!

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your website through BookThink earlier this week and I am enchanted with your blog! You have inspired me tremendously!

6:40 AM  
Blogger lovebooks&love2read said...

I think I found your blog through Elaine Krieg Smith's web site. I've slowly been reading through all your old posts, and I'm really enjoying all of them! I also receive the BookThink free newsletter and subscribe to others, but cannot find mention of this journal. I have lots of little sticky notes referencing authors, illustrators, and books, and frequently pick up the "wrong" book by the right author (sigh).

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home