Monday, April 10, 2006

SPRING!

Here in Wisconsin the weather is FINALLY spring-like. It's that wonderful time of year when one can sit in full sun and feel comfortable. I was able to package our books outside on the picnic table today.

As much as I enjoy spring flowers, my favorite part of spring is the arrival of the white throated sparrow (see our new banner, designed by our 13-year-old daughter). The white throated sparrows descend on our backyard in mid-April and stay for a few weeks before heading north for the summer. I know that one of these mornings I'll wake up and the first thing I'll hear is
their song and it will fill our yard all day long. When you hear a few dozen of these sparrows singing their song at the same time it is very charming.

At the grocery store today I picked up a ten pound package of bird seed and will scatter in the backyard. I always do this shortly before their anticipated arrival so that they will feel welcomed.

OK, this doesn't have much to do with bookselling. But when it comes to white throated sparrows I can't help myself, I guess.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Yay! Welcome Spring, Welcome Pascha!

It's been a particuarly "birdy" year for us here, may you have the same blessing.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Elaine Krieg Smith said...

I envy you! You are at the beginning of spring - we are at the end.

Spring is my favorite season. We have had 8 glorious weeks of it here in North Carolina.

It all started at the end of February with the blooming of the pear trees, then came the cherries, plums, redbuds and dogwoods. In waves. Now we are ablaze in azaelas.

The leaves are all out and we had to put our air conditioner on this week. I am afraid summer is near. :^(

It is still cool enough to have open windows at night and waken to birdsong. We have bluebirds, tiny chickadees and wrens nesting in our yard this spring.

What a joy!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home