Thursday, April 06, 2006

WHY I LIVE AT THE P. O.

Many booksellers buy their postage online. This makes sense for a lot of reasons, if one doesn't mind the monthly fee.

I, however, choose to schlep our packages to the post office 3-5 times per week (I do print out postage for the eBay orders). It gets me away from the children gives me an opportunity to leave the house. I enjoy the banter of the post office clerks. But here's the real benefit: I get free candy.

Everyday one of the clerks hands me a fistful or an envelope full of Smarties (called Sweet Tarts when I was a kid). Even if he's not waiting on me on that day he interrupts his work and reaches over and hands me the candy. He does this because he knows I have four kids and assumes I will take the candy home and distribute it to them. But here's my secret : my children don't like Smarties.

I haven't had the heart to tell him this, of course. And, really, why should I tell him? How often can a mother enjoy a treat without hearing, "Can I have some?!" I stash the candy in my van or in my jacket pocket and occasionally partake of these candies. In peace.

So, until stamps.com or the other online services start giving away free candy, I'm going to keep going to the P.O.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Ooooh, I like Smarties too!

Enjoy!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous kittyn said...

Ha!!! I started to ask about "do you know about..." and then caught myself!

Of COURSE, it's all about the Candy!

Kittyn
(a new bookseller, only about 2 months old...2 on Half, one on Amazon!)

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home