Wednesday, May 17, 2006

$100 Day

I originally hoped to title this post "three 30+ books in three days." On Friday night I listed eight children's books, all of them worth more than $30. Two of them sold right away and I hoped a third would sell within three days. As I waited for the third $30+ book to sell yesterday, other orders arrived. A $15.00 book here, a $22.00 book there. I added it all up at the end of the day and it totaled $101.

We've sold $100 worth of books in one day before. I think, however, that this is the first time we've reached $100 by selling only seven books (with the exception of those few times we've sold a $100 book). When we began moving our books out of storage we decided to purge from our inventory most of the books that we have listed for less than $10.00 and to only list books if they are worth $10.00 or more. I remember when we sold 18 books in one day for a total of $87. It is much easier to package and ship seven books. Yesterday's sales were an affirmation of our new business model: sell fewer books and make more more money.

I realize, of course, that a $100 day to a fulltime online bookseller like Steve Weber or Julie Anna Schultz or Craig Stark is a mediocre day. But yesterday was a much needed boost during a slow sales period, and during a time where we have to expend so much energy moving boxes of books and pruning inventory and looking for matches so we can light a bonfire already instead of hauling all these books to Goodwill and to the library (alas, our city's ordinances don't permit such a thing, but it doesn't stop me from fantasizing) that it takes great effort for me to list new inventory and listing new inventory every day is very important for sales. A certain percentage of new inventory sells very quickly - even if that new inventory is priced at $30+, I'm happy to report. So I think I'll go list a few new books while the kids are still asleep and hope that third $30+ book sells today.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Congratulations! It doesn't sound like small potatoes to me.

10:16 AM  
Blogger GuusjeM said...

Congrats on a $100 day! I love days like that...if only I could have them on a regular basis I could quit my day job...sigh!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home