Saturday, May 20, 2006

24,000 pounds

I calculated that, between April and June 10, we will have moved 24,000 pounds of books. I figure that we will handle each book at least three times. Once to remove it from the shelf to the box. Then move the box to the van. Then move the box from the van to the thrift shop/library/recycling center or to its new shelf, if we're keeping the book. Make that four times when I have to put down a box in mid-transport to accept a dandelion bouquet, or a crayon drawing, or to holler at a child playing with a stack of "bad books" (the books we aren't keeping) when she brings some of them back into the house, or to panic at the sight of a stack of books on the picnic table and wonder if they were left out overnight and try to remember if it rained or not.

No wonder we don't have health club memberships. No wonder, when I'm holding my 30 pound two-year-old, I sometimes forget I'm holding her and walk around and try to find her. Thirty pounds. That's nothing.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Wow! What muscles you must have! You go, girl!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home