Monday, May 29, 2006

Reading at the Parade

My normal activity on Memorial Day is to avoid attending the parade. This year, in a fit of maternalism, I volunteered to be the one to take the children to the parade. One of my motivations, I admit, was the hope that it would give me an excuse to sit and read The Swing in the Summerhouse by Jane Langton. We sold a hardcover copy of this on Saturday for $35 and I wanted to understand the buyer's effusiveness about the book, plus I enjoy dipping into children's fantasy now and then.

I sat in the shade of a stop sign and the kids sat on the asphalt ten feet away from me, in the 90 degree heat, so that they could forage for candy. Such dedication on their part. I spent most of the time chatting with a neighbor who lives a block away but we haven't seen each other in months. I waved to Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin as she sashayed down the street. I kept getting distracted by the cloggers, motorcycles, helicopters and man on stilts. During the few minutes I spent reading a chocolate kiss fell into my lap out of nowhere. When I looked up I spotted a woman a half block away already, handing out candy to us back row types.

I'm foiled again in my attempts to be well-read and probably won't be able to finish the book before I have to ship it. This means I won't find out about the magical powers of the swing or why Uncle Freddy started acting strange after Mrs. Dorian moved in next door. At least Fourth Daughter experienced the power of wielding a cannon this afternoon, as she and Third Daughter played in their inflatable pool (the cannon is hooked up to the hose). Thanks to the heat I didn't mind when a few sprinkles landed on me and my laptop.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Sounds like a good weekend, now get off the computer and finish the book ;)

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home