Wednesday, July 05, 2006

$103 for $3 worth of books shouldn't feel like a disappointment


But it does.

I found 40 International Collectors Library books with the gold gilt edges at a recent church sale. I made sure we attended this sale because last year we acquired several bags of vintage paperbacks from this sale, donated by an older lady in the church. Several of those paperbacks were worth $10-30+ and the rest we sold as lots. I overheard the lady say that next year she might have the courage to donate her hardcovers and I made a mental note to come back.


When we arrived I didn't see a single book under the large tent. Highly unusual. Did another dealer swoop in and take them all? Because the children insisted on looking at every last junky toy I had time to notice that a side door that was propped open with a small sign that said "books." Aha.

I found the 40 books and went home and looked on eBay to research International Collectors Library. This was a Doubleday book club from the 1940's -1970's and the books are classic works bound in faux leather to resemble antique books. One normally runs away from book club books but a seller had recently sold 59 of the books for $600 (eBay item# 7041803891) so I sent Brian to the church's $1 bag sale and he fit them all in three bags. I listed them the next day (eBay item# 160001732609), hopeful that these books might fetch close to $400.


The listing received 96 hits and there were 17 watchers. But there were no last minute bids. Alas. None of the bidders for the 59 books bid on these books. I was hoping one of the losing bidders would be interested in my listing. Maybe it was a bad idea to list an auction that ended two days before July 4 or on the heels of the lot of 59. Maybe the other seller had some titles that were more rare. You never know with eBay. Oh well. At least I got to break in and fine tune our new eBay template. And the 40 books will be outta here and I don't have to store them. And I guess a quick $103 from our first church sale outing this summer isn't so bad.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger GuusjeM said...

xThat's the way it goes with E-bay - yuou get your hopes up and then your auction doesn't perform as well as one for something similar.
It's soooo anonying.....but you did make a good profit!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Amber Benton said...

Well, I didn't even know these sets had potential, so thanks for the post! I've passed on them before, but will take a closer look next time.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home