Friday, August 18, 2006

$175 Church Sale

Several weeks ago I whined about a book lot selling for "only" $123 when, after searching the completed auctions, I thought it would sell for much more. Last Sunday I sold a lot of 76 action adventure paperbacks by for $157. I was expecting much less because a lot of 60 paperbacks sold for only $25 the week before. True, that seller's listing wasn't as nice as mine. And that seller charged way too much for shipping ($25). But still. I was pleasantly surprised.

I found that box of books at a church sale. There were only two other books at that sale worth picking up (one of them published by Wiley, of course) and they sold within 48 hours for a total of $18.00. I offered $9.00 for the box of action adventure books and didn't think twice about buying it, figuring someone out there likes this author and will want them.

I like excursions to church sales because there are items from many different people all in one place - so efficient - and if people are feeling charitable they will sometimes surrender their nicer books or entire collections of books. And junky toys. Very important, those junky toys. They allow me to say, "I'm going to look at just a few more books," to my little ones without them doing an imitation of Edvard Munch's The Scream while simultaneously clawing at my legs as if they were fans in the front row of a rock concert.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home