Sunday, August 06, 2006

You gotta love eBay

During the recent heat tidal wave First Daughter dragged me to a thrift shop. As important as it is to look for new books I wanted to go home and dehydrate in peace and take a nap in the process. First Daughter was on a mission, however, and used the "You promised!" line to guilt me into stopping. While she rummaged through the clothes I sat on the floor in the children's section and found twenty or more high quality children's books. Three of these books were sign language coloring books.

These coloring books are almost worthless on Amazon and the sales ranking is very low. I put them together as a lot on eBay and was afraid my opening bid of $9.99 was perhaps too ambitious. But, what do you know, there were nine bids and 30 hits and they sold for $22.50 and will be out the door tomorrow. A quick turnaround like that and a selling price like that would not have been possible on Amazon so, as tempting as it is to hate on eBay for the fees, I can't help but be fascinated with the way eBay allows you to match up a buyer with a book they didn't know existed until browsing and finding your listing. More than once I've used keywords in the auction title and haven't even used the author's name and title of the book and have sold the book.

Another eBay bonus: eBay store sellers have access to free traffic reports. These reports show you the search terms that buyers use when finding your items. I activated our report today and look forward to studying it regularly. A legit form of snooping.

Thanks to that overheated excursion First Daughter came home with a Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt, some kids in California will now benefit from these coloring books and I learned yet another important lesson about eBay and how it's all about the keywords. I know $22.50 isn't something to be all excited about but I'll be a little bit more motivated tomorrow when I open Turbo Lister and list an auction or two.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Whohoooooo! Good job!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know. Isn't it incredible how Ebay can surprise you sometimes? By the way, I noticed you have an auction now that is up to seventy dollars. Congratulations! Good to see you on My Space too. I added you as a friend. I LOVE your Blog!This is Jane but I just can't remember my Blogger name and password so I'm posting this as Anonymous even though it is still me.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home