Monday, September 18, 2006

$200 in 12 minutes


Saturday nights are not usually a hot time for book orders. People aren't sitting at their computers. They're at real bookstores or Starbucks or parties or whatever else it is that people without four children do on Saturday nights. Books with Amazon sales ranks of 2 million are not hot sellers. A $5.00 book with a sales rank of 100 might sell in twelve minutes on a Saturday night but not a $200 book with a sales rank of two million. Yet that's exactly what happened to me last Saturday night.

On Saturday night I listed Dinosaurs, Mammoths and Cavemen: The Art of Charles Knight for $199.99. I decided to put it in our eBay store inventory in addition to Amazon, Alibris, etc. I figured it would take several months for this book to sell. Amazingly someone purchased the book twelve minutes after I listed it on eBay. I've never had a book sell that fast. eBay store inventory doesn't appear in saved searches (when you have a saved search for an item eBay sends you an e-mail when a new listing appears) so I don't know how the buyer found the book so quickly.

I wish I could say that I found this book at a library sale or thrift shop. It belonged to a friend of mine and I sold it on commission. He had tried selling the book on eBay on his own to no avail. You never know with eBay.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger GuusjeM said...

Wow! I am very impressed! I've never that fast a sale either for that amount of money! Whoo-Hoo!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home