Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Makeover

If you take a look at the sidebar you will now see categories. Categories! I feel like my blog is more grown-up now. Blogger doesn't provide a category feature for blogs so I had to sit down and figure it out all by myself. I decided to use del.icio.us tags. It's not as nice as having a fancy drop down menu for categories but it's free and very easy to use.

I still have not added Google Ad Sense text ads to the blog. I think of these ads as the mosquitos of the blogosphere and can't bring myself to clutter up the site with them. These ads seem more like Ad Cents than Ad Sense. It's hard to imagine making much money from them. I wasn't totally without shame, however. I added a donate link on the sidebar for those who wish to make anonymous donations through Amazon. I've seen this on other blogs and figured it was worth a shot. Maybe someday I'll hit the big time and have real ads on the site with tasteful graphics and content that is applicable to bookselling.

I also added a new blog to the sidebar:
Ephemera: exploring the world of old paper. It's cool. Check it out.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oooh, looking good! And, great blog, I've added it to my bloglines.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Ebay Book Peddler said...

I'm the same way. I think Adsense ads are ugly and I never click them. I think the only people who still do are tricked into doing so by their placement on a site, when the author makes it appear like part of his content. Then I get annoyed and don't return to his site. But I'm glad people do it - Google (which owns AdSense) wouldn't give away all this bandwidth in blogs is they weren't making money.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Steve Weber said...

Great idea on the categories, Anita. How do you do it, is it automated? I need categories on my blog too.

I have nearly quit doing AdSense, it does not pay that well. I think for bookselling-related sites, Amazon Associates links work much better.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home