Thursday, December 14, 2006

Alternate Uses for B-flute

While I wait for the upcoming BookThinker article that will explain how to use b-flute for packaging books, my two youngest daughters have already figured out how to use b-flute:

- As a fort.
- As a runway for doll fashion shows.
- As a table for tea parties.
- As a chair.

B-flute is single corrugated cardboard that, according to BookThink, is the cheapest and most secure way of packaging books. I bought a roll from Pac-N-Seal along with 1000 of the 9 x 12 plastic bags. I've packaged several books this way so far and...it took a long time.. and way too much tape...because I haven't purchased an Extra Heavy Duty Bostich stapler yet, because I'm waiting to see if the upcoming BookThinker article still recommends the stapling method or if he thinks Impulse Sealers are now the best method (sounds dangerous, though, because that involves heat). What I do know for sure is that next time I will purchase 10 x 13 bags instead of 9 x 12 because I ship a lot of oversized children's picture books.

B-flute will also work well for wrapping Christmas presents. It will require less wrapping paper because I'll be wrapping less air; b-flute snugly fits around the book or clothing item or CD or gift certificate. I'm sure we'll find more alternate uses for b-flute. If you know of any that I haven't mentioned please let me know.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

5 Comments:

Anonymous Hugh Hollowell said...

I would be careful of B-Flute on collectible titles, as I have seen it bend corners.

The other thing I dislike is it is a B*@#* to open. Once I actually had a little old lady write to fuss at me because she could not open the package.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Anita said...

Thanks, Hugh. One reason I've hesitated on purchasing a stapler is because I've wondered if buyers would appreciate opening a stapled package. I hope Craig will address that in his article.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Mimi said...

I'm thinking you are going to come home and find your kids B-Fluted together ;)

That's really cool, I didn't know where one bought that stuff.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Julie Anna Schultz said...

Hi Anita,
Love your blog! We have had the b-flute discussion both on my loop and a private bookseller's list I am on. The general consensus is customers hate the stuff. I would work with the taping version before investing too heavily in the b-flute process. Perhaps I'll email Craig and ask him to address the concerns booksellers who have had complaints have. I haven't used it, but did not like getting the only book I did receive in the stuff. Well, at least the children redeemed the effort for you, if nothing else makes great fortress material. Happy bookselling!

6:25 PM  
Anonymous hugh hollowell said...

I took on the B-Flute controversy head on recently on my blog, did not know if you happened to see it or not, but I received many comments, positive and negative about it.

You may wish to check it out.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home