Friday, December 01, 2006

Quicken Dependency

I count on Quicken to such a degree that, well, I don't ever have to count. Quicken does it for me.

In the late 1990's I threw away my paper checkbook register and started using Quicken, a personal finance software program. It balances the checkbook and it can download transactions directly from the bank's website into the checkbook register.

When I started to sell books online I opened a separate checking account for the book business and use Quicken (the basic version) for the record keeping. Each month I print a register report from the checking account to show the expenses and income. I make sure each transaction has a category, such as "office supplies" or "postage." The register report gives subtotals for each category. It takes less than five minutes to crank out one of these reports and I save it on the computer and also put a dead pulp version in a binder.

I don't use QuickBooks, a software program specifically for small businesses, because it's $200.00 and I don't have employees and payroll taxes and all that. Quicken is more than adequate for a sole proprietor. It's only $50.00 and I already owned it.

Because Quicken takes care of these tedious tasks I can focus on the type of counting that is much easier for me: counting the number of books that have sold in a day. Counting the books I'm buying at a sale. Counting the money for the day's bank deposit. Counting the number of peanut M&M's it will take to help me list books for two hours.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I use Quicken for our finances as well, and like you, don't run a paper check register (but when I reconcile, I do print out the report).

I'd do that with a business, if I had one.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home