Saturday, January 13, 2007

Prison Microwave Cookbooks?

Is this a new niche market?

I periodically look at the search terms people use to find my blog. "Prison microwave cookbooks" was a recent search phrase. Huh? Microwave cookbooks are among the most worthless books out there and are an inside joke among online booksellers. Are these books in demand at prisons? Should we start shipping all those worthless microwave cookbooks to the nearest prison and get them out of circulation?

I typed that phrase in Google and was amused to discover several articles about Martha Stewart. This is what she learned in prison, according to a CNN article: "I learned a lot about patience. I also learned how to microwave cook. You could actually make creme caramel."

Here's a quote from a BBC article: "Ms Stewart is said to have cooked up meals in the prison microwave, and to have gathered dandelions and wild greens from prison grounds as ingredients." This article also says, "There is also scope for prison-related cookbooks, with advice on eating on a budget."

Will Martha publish a microwave cookbook? Maybe it will increase demand for other microwave cookbooks, forcing BookThink to have to publish a 50/50 list for the hottest selling out-of-print microwave cookbooks. If anyone can convince more than a few people that a microwave can be used for more than reheating leftovers and making popcorn I suppose Martha can. Creme caramel with dandelions, anyone?
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I have a microwave cookbook, but I'm not sure I've ever used it.

It was a gift from my now-late Grandmother, so I smile when I see it.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree that I, as an avid cook, would probably never choose to use a microwave cookbook, I am also a functional life skills teacher for those with special needs. When teaching this population how to cook, it must always be kept in mind that a left on stove or oven could be a serious disaster. Microwave cooking is the only possibility for some of them to have some independence and cook meals for themselves. Look outside the box a little, will ya?

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A microwave cookbook was a wonderful idea for those unfortunate to be residents of prison camps such as Martha Stewart. Don't laugh. My precious daughter, now an inmate in a federal camp, tells me of many recipes that the women have learned to make using available food from the commissary. There are women who have made mistakes and now are choosing to learn new skills and think positive. I am grateful they have the incentive to be creative with the available food instead of being negative, depressed, and bitter. A microwave cookbook could be very useful.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home