Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Of blizzards and Stepahnie Plum

So there was a blizzard last weekend. This gave me extra time that I could have used to list books on eBay. I dutifully took the photos and set then set the camera aside because one must pace oneself. To take photos and immediately go to the computer and upload them and create listings would feel too much like work. A day later I picked up the camera but the battery cover was missing and the camera is inoperable. Oops. I tried to blame the children but could not; I was the last one who touched the camera (although I did manage to silently blame my husband, figuring he must have thrown it in the trash while doing clean up). Happily I found a battery cover for it on eBay.

This gave me more extra time than I anticipated so I picked up a copy of One for the Money by Janet Evanovich and began reading. I realize I'm rather late to the game because there are already twelve books in the Stephanie Plum series.

From a bookselling perspective, her books are like Sue Grafton's. A complete set of paperbacks will sell as a lot for about $2 per book. The books are plentiful at sales; just reach out and grab. First edition hardcovers can be worth something if you know how to spot them.

The content of the books is similar to Sue Grafton's too. Both feature a happily single young woman without much of a personal life (or money) who spends her days pursuing criminals. Stephanie Plum is a bounty hunter who lives in New Jersey and, as a result, the book was grittier than the Kinsey Millhone books I remember reading several years ago. The books are funnier too. Is it possible to read the scene where her grandmother accidentally shoots the chicken on the dinner table and not laugh out loud? Perhaps not.

Each time I have a book lot I'll probably let myself indulge myself in a few more Stephanie Plum adventures. Let myself get lost in the lot for a day or two before listing it.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Those are definitely the kinds of books to read in a blizzard in front of the fire with a cuppa tea.

I have only read "One for The Money" myself, but my mom has read them all.

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home