Monday, February 05, 2007

Viral Plague

My daughters and I were afflicted with the viral plague for oh so many days, thus the light posting around here. Thanks to the laptop I was able to keep an eye on things while I was bed-ridden.

Auctions that I listed before the plague sold, including a $300 set of books. That was encouraging. The night all the books sold it seemed unthinkable to me that I once had the energy and ability to list books. I looked at the listings in disbelief. "I made those? I took photos? I wrote descriptions? How?" Bookselling seemed like a distant memory and I wondered if I'd have the strength to do it again someday.

While I was bed-ridden eBay announced its fourth quarter earnings and it looks like overall eBay had a great year: $6 billion in revenue, up 31 percent. I guess those fee increases didn't hurt them. Maybe it's time to buy some eBay stock. Amazon had $10.7 billion in revenue last year and forecasts $13 billion in revenue this year. Amazon and eBay are here to stay. Job security for us, I guess.

Happily, many of the eBay store items that have had watchers for many weeks and months have been selling. I haven't created any new listings for at least a couple of weeks and when you don't have new listings sales are supposed to slump. The book business has been taking care of us even though I haven't been able to mind the store. I also appreciate how, thanks to the internet, a customer will buy a $300 set of books from you even though you are bed-ridden and look miserable and have almost no strength to package the books.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I hpe you are back to feeling well in your household soon.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Its very nice that your books are making a gud business.

I have just started a family ecards blog which I want you to see too.

keep blogging

11:46 PM  
Blogger Steve Weber said...

Get well soon, I miss your posts!

Here's hoping you'll have your strength back up for lugging those books around...

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home