Monday, September 03, 2007

Leave Your Passwords in Your Will

We are now in an era where we need to hand down passwords to our relatives the way we once handed down safe deposit boxes, safe combinations, etc. A commenter raised a good point about this yesterday in reference to my mention of Elaine Krieg Smith's now dormant blog.

I've never seen an article or blog post about this so I thought I'd mention it here. If you have a blog, it's ideal if someone could leave a post in the event of a tragic accident or if you otherwise become incapacitated. Even if you don't have a blog, you should consider making a list of user IDs and passwords for sites like the following:

  • Flickr or other online photo storage site.
  • Gmail, Yahoo mail or other web based e-mail that requires a password.
  • eBay.
  • PayPal.
  • Banking website.
  • Your blog, MySpace, Facebook and forum passwords.
  • Bookselling venues.
Give your list to a family member or other trustworthy person. That person should also check your e-mails. I've asked my oldest daughter to keep my list of passwords in a Google Documents file so that it will always be accessible from any computer. She knows how to use Blogger and she's internet-savvy.

A sad example of this is the late Cathy Seipp's blog. During her last few days as she was dying of lung cancer her daughter took over and wrote blog posts that kept readers informed.

I know Elaine subscribed to my blog's feed so if she's out there I hope we hear from her.


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 Comments:

Blogger Carrisa said...

I have an internet "in case of emergency" person. I gave her my home phone number and a login to post on my blog. That way should I ever go MIA she can call my home. If something tragic has happened she will find out and post on my blog to let the internets know. And my husband had my other passwords, but he would not know how to blog for me.

She thought it was a bit morbid at first, but I think she's realized it's not such a crazy idea.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Historia said...

Due to my brain surgery in July, I made up a list of passwords, bank PINS and other important stuff for the hubby so he could access them if needed.

I specifically wrote access details for my blog and for a message forum I belong to, where he was nice enough to post about my operation and how I was doing.

As of now (about 6 weeks post-operative) I am doing fine.

Great idea.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home